Saturday, July 10, 2010

Spoken

difficult * that is the word that described how it was for marty to share his deepest secret with you that saturday morning as you had a cup of coffee together * unexpected * was your first thought * fear was the synergistic emotion driving both sides of the conversation * but he did it anyway * he told you * you asked * why me * he responded * because i knew you would listen * the idea of telling his friend what he never thought he would tell anyone else played over and over in his mind for weeks * and now he had done it * he finally had gathered all the strength and courage within the deepest part of his soul and spoke * but now what * he stared into the eyes of his now enlightened friend in wonder * what next *

my father spoke with my teacher that night at the parent teacher conference * she told him of the many great things i had done in her class * how i was a good girl and did everything she felt a six year old should be doing in class* i was very happy to see how pleased he was * but not as happy as i was excited for my dad to see my work displaying a happy face hanging on the wall * so while my dad spoke to my teacher i tugged and pulled on his shirt sleeve * dad * i said * dad * hey dad * daddy * as he continued his conversation ignoring my pleas for his attention I began to wine * but dad * dddaaaddddyyyyy * sweetheart we must not interrupt an adult conversation * wait one minute * but daddy * do not interrupt * ok * so i waited but I could not stay still * when my father finally realized my urgent patience he responded with * now what do you want to show me darling * look * i said with the greatest pride * my work * my smiley face * i spoke with exuberance and great joy *

spoken words * treasures from the head and the heart * but what it takes to speak those words is sometimes as difficult if not more difficult than the consequences that come from what has been said * why should things be spoken * because once it is out there is the possibility of peace within * spoke * speak * spoken *

No comments: